General Permit Resources

Required Permits

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit.

The eGov Alliance has prepared a tip sheet for single family properties with frequent questions about whether a permit is required or not.

See the Permits When Required Tip Sheet.


Re-roof permits are required under any of the following criteria:

  • Residential and commercial buildings that are installing or replacing any portion of the roof decking (sheathing), including the adding of plywood over existing skip sheathing.
  • Commercial buildings receiving a type of roof covering of a different class rating from the existing roof unless the class rating is of a higher classification. The applicant must provide written documentation of what the existing material is, and what is being replaced.
  • Commercial buildings receiving a type of roof covering heavier than the existing system.
  • Commercial buildings receiving new covering over the existing system.
  • Any building with clay tile or concrete tile roofs.

Re-roofs exempt from permits:

  • Single-family residences that are installing composition roofing over composition roofing do not require a permit (a total of two layers maximum).
  • Any building receiving a complete tear off and re-installation of the same type and classification of roofing material (tile not exempted) and roof decking (sheathing) is not being installed or replaced.
  • Alteration of roof coverings less than 100 square feet.


A building permit is required when making any modifications to a deck that is more than 30 inches above grade (measured to the lowest point within three feet of the deck).

Be aware that even if no permit is required, any modified decks or patios must still meet current land use regulations. Contact the Permit Center if you are not sure.

Right of Way Use Permits

The City requires a Right of Way (ROW) permit for any activity that disrupts traffic, restricts access or modifies any infrastructure within the right of way or for any private use of the public right of way. Examples include:
  • Replacement of, or modifications to, driveways
  • Placement of fences or rockeries in the right of way
  • Utility repairs, installation, and maintenance
  • Special Events and Parades (any type of non-construction event held in the Right-of-Way)
The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department can assist in the early stages of planning to help determine if a right of way use permit is necessary. It can also advise of any problems that may be encountered or revisions that may be needed to meet city codes or other regulations. If a permit is required for construction, please submit your application at least two weeks prior to your desired project start date.  For events in the ROW, please submit your application at least four weeks prior to your desired event date.

Note:  The City does not grant permission for temporary placement of dumpsters or moving pods/containers in the right of way, except under circumstances where there is no other placement option.

Digging more than a foot deep in the public right of way, even to plant a shrub, may encounter power lines or other utilities. In addition to the obvious life-safety concerns, there may be liability for damage to any utility encountered. CALL 8-1-1 BEFORE YOU DIG. It's the law.

The city owns the property under, on and above the roadways and sidewalks, usually extending 10 to 20 feet beyond the roadway pavement. The right of way often extends well into what appears to be private property. Assets within the right of way may include the roadway, curb, gutter, sidewalks, vegetation, sewer and water lines, telephone, power and other utility infrastructure.


  • Type A – Special Use Permit - Activity/Event in City ROW; No Charge
  • Type B – Construction Permit - Any non-franchise utility work performed within City ROW with a value of work < $5,000;$100.00 Fee
    Type B – Construction Permit - Any non-franchise utility work performed within City ROW with a value of work > $5,000; $496.00 Fee + $124/hour inspection fees (up front deposit required)
  • Type C – Utility Permit - All franchise utility work; $496.00 Fee + $124/hour inspection fees (all fees billable)
  • Type D - Right of Way Lease Permit - Long-term private benefit or use. (i.e. construction of fences, landscaping, private irrigation, sheds, private non-franchised utilities, and garage); $496.00 Fee + $124/hour inspection fees (up front deposit required plus negotiate lease payment)
To obtain a Right-of-Way use permit, please submit the application form below in person at City Hall.  Please review the ROW Permit Checklist to ensure your application is complete.


Sammamish is different from many other jurisdictions in that it will maintain and repair all sidewalks. Please submit a Citizen Action Request to notify us of a sidewalk needing repair.

For complaints about items blocking the public ROW, see the Code Compliance Officer page.

Permit Not Required

Most improvements on a residential or commercial lot require a permit. The following are examples that do not need a permit:

  • One story-detached accessory buildings used as a tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the projected floor area does not exceed 200 square feet, and there are no zoning setback issues.
  • Fences not over 6 feet in height (other fence regulations may apply).
  • Commercial - Moveable cases, counters and partitions not over five feet, nine inches in height.
  • Rockery or site retaining walls that are not over four feet in height, measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids or in a critical area.
  • Decks, platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade at any point within five horizontal feet, and not over any basement or story below.
  • Painting, papering and similar finish work.
  • Commercial - Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of a single family home and Group U Occupancies when not projecting more than 54 inches.

Unless otherwise exempted, plumbing, mechanical and electrical permits may be required for the above exempted items.

Call the Permit Center at 425-295-0531.


Hours: 8:30 am - 4 pm, Monday - Friday
Phone: 425-295-0500
Fax: 425-295-0600

Staff Contact